Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel yet? Fall semester is almost over, and we hope you’re as excited for a well-deserved break as we are! To help you survive finals season, we’ll be providing finals supplies in our office from December 3–7, along with a bunch of events to help take your mind off studying. Finally, we want to offer a big congratulations to all residents graduating this month, including our Resident Director, Chelsea, who will be receiving her bachelor’s degree in health services administration!
— From Your Northgate Staff
• It’s starting to get a bit chilly. If you turn on your heater, don’t be alarmed if it smells like smoke for a few minutes as the dust burns off the unit. If it persists longer that 5–10 minutes, please call the office.
• Please remember that pets that haven’t been approved through the office are not allowed on the property! If you have any questions about possibly bringing a pet, please contact the office.
• When you leave for the holidays, make sure to turn off all lights, lock your doors, and get rid of any food that will expire while you’re gone. (Your roommates will thank you!)
• Come to the office if you have any issues, and we’ll be happy to put in a work order for you.
Reminders & Updates
It’s the holiday season, and who doesn’t love to decorate festively to celebrate all the things we have to be thankful for? Before you go all out, here are a few tips to get you started.
First and foremost, remember to consult your roommates about decorating common areas so everyone has a say and feels happy about how it looks.
If you want to put up a Christmas tree, please remember that you are not allowed to have a live Christmas tree on the property as it is a fire hazard! Keep your eyes peeled for sales at stores like Michaels, Joann, Home Depot, and more to get yourself a fake tree that will last for years to come.
If you are hanging lights, make sure to turn them off when you’re not in the room so you don’t go over on your utilities.
Lastly, remember to have fun! Invite friends over for a board game night or movie marathon so everyone can enjoy your hard work and celebrate the season together. And if you’re ever looking for friends to celebrate with, be sure to drop by the office!
Tips to Help You Through Finals Week
The time that you’ve been dreading all semester is here: final exams. This is a very stressful time for everyone, so remember to take a minute just for you.
Studies have shown that when you take one minute just for yourself every 30 minutes, your grades will improve. Cramming has proven not to work because you’re stressed, exhausted, and less likely to absorb everything that you’re trying to learn. Taking a minute just for you will allow you to breathe and reset your mind as you continue to study.
After your minute, make sure to take 10 more minutes to review what you’ve learned, and then 20 more minutes of new information before you take another break.
Just thinking about final exams gets stressful, so make sure to breathe and prepare the right way. Whether you’re writing papers, presenting, or taking an exam, preparation is the best way to get an A.
Here are some professor-approved study tips:
- Drink water, not soda or energy drinks.
- Eat fruits and veggies to give you natural energy.
- Turn your phone off as you study to lessen distractions.
- Find a study partner so you can quiz each other.
- Use the on-campus tutoring centers or peer-led groups.
- Talk to your professors! It shows that you care and are trying to do well.
- Make sure to eat a good breakfast the day of your exam. It truly is the most important meal of the day.
As a member of the Campus Advantage team, we want to do all we can to help you succeed! Make sure to stop by your local front office to see what resources or events they have to help you during this stressful week. We know that all of you are going to do amazing on your final exams!
Finals Survival Supplies — December 3–7 — We know that finals are tough, so we’re here to help you through them. Not only will we have the basics (Scantrons, blue books, etc.) in the office, but we’ll also have snacks and drinks to help you survive!
Waffle Wednesday — Wednesday, December 5 from 9–11 a.m. — Join CA Grayce in the clubhouse for the last Waffle Wednesday of 2018! Take a break from the stress of studying for finals and swing by to grab a warm, homemade breakfast!
Disney Movie Marathon — Thursday, December 6 from 10 a.m.–6 p.m. — Come into the office and watch some Disney classics in celebration of Walt Disney’s birthday!
DIY Christmas Ornaments — Friday, December 7 from 6:30–7:30 p.m. — Join us in the clubhouse to listen to Christmas music while making festive holiday decorations.
National Brownie Day — Saturday, December 8 from 10 a.m.–noon — Stop by the office to get fresh brownies made by CA Luis.
National Pastry Day — Sunday, December 9 from 2–4 p.m. — To celebrate National Pastry Day, join us in the clubhouse for a buffet of fun pastries!
Holiday Snack Bar — Tuesday, December 11 @ 7 p.m. — Stop by the clubhouse and enjoy snacks of all sorts — ranch and veggies, caramel and apples, chocolate and any sort of snack you would like dipped in it.
Cookie Decorating — Wednesday, December 12 from 7–8:30 p.m. — Come out to the clubhouse to decorate some holiday cookies!
Holiday D&D — Friday, December 14 from 6–9 p.m. — Welcome one and all to a special holiday one-shot! Join forces with your fellow residents in the clubhouse as you try to steal Santa’s naughty list, and grab all the sweet presents for yourselves!