Fall into September
Happy September, residents! We’ve survived the first two weeks of the fall semester, and we hope you’re settling in well to your new homes and new routines. We have a ton of great events coming up this month, from practical things such as nights for Professional Headshots and Hurricane Survival, to some more fun things such as our Pet Play Date, Tabletop RPG Night, and our Hot Dog Eating Contest. We can’t wait to see you at all of our awesome events this month!
- The speed limit on the property is 5 mph. Be aware of pedestrians crossing and of our contractors and their equipment.
- Summer is here, and so is the heat! Remember to keep your A/C set between 74 and 78 degrees to limit utility overages.
- Please remember that pets that haven’t been approved through the office are not allowed on the property! If you have any questions about possibly bringing a pet, please contact the office.
- Come to the office if you have any issues, and we’ll be happy to put in a work order for you.
Reminders & Updates
It’s time for the national champions to once again take the field and show the world who is boss! However, before you head over to Spectrum Stadium, remember to tell your guests that they must park in the back guest lot in front of a yellow bumper on game days — NO EXCEPTIONS! If your guarantor is visiting, they can stop by the office to get their hangtag that will let them park anywhere on the property. For your safety, if you are walking to the game, please walk east on McCulloch Road and cross over ONLY at the traffic light on Lockwood Boulevard. And last, but not least — Go Knights! Charge On!
Tips on Living with Roommates!
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you’re sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being, the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
Canned Food Drive — September 1–14 — Help out your fellow Knights by donating canned food and non-perishable goods in the office. Everything will go to Knights Pantry! The building that raises the most will get free pizza!
Waffle Wednesday — Wednesday, September 5 from 9–11 a.m. — Visit CA Grayce in the clubhouse to start your morning off right with a balanced breakfast! Enjoy homemade waffles just like mom used to make, fresh fruit, and a full topping bar before heading off to class!
Pet Play Date — Friday, September 7 from 7–8 p.m. — Join your fellow pet owners at the NGL dog park with your furry friends. And enter into our raffle to get some goodies for your pet!
Professional Headshots — Tuesday, September 11 from 6–8 p.m. — Come to the clubhouse and have a professional headshot taken for FREE to spruce up your LinkedIn profile and help you get the job of your dreams!
Grocery Bingo — Thursday, September 13 from 7–9 p.m. — Come out to the clubhouse and play bingo with CA Carla to win groceries because we all know we need them!
Tabletop RPG Night — Friday, September 14 from 6:30–9:30 p.m. — For new players and veterans, this tabletop night in the clubhouse is to share the joys of gathering around like a bunch of nerds to create a riveting adventure and throw around dice!
Waffle Wednesday — Wednesday, September 19 from 9–11 a.m. — Visit CA Grayce in the clubhouse to start your morning off right with a balanced breakfast! Homemade waffles just like mom used to make, fresh fruit, and a full topping bar are at your disposal this morning!
Hurricane Survival — Thursday, September 20 from 5–6 p.m. — Whether it’s your first time in Florida or you’ve lived here for years, it always pays to be prepared! Come to the clubhouse for some free food and to learn everything you need to know to survive hurricane season in Florida.
DIY Coffee Mugs — Tuesday, September 25 from 6:30–8 p.m. — Join CA Kaely in the clubhouse and create your very own coffee mug with Sharpie markers and paint pens!
Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest — Thursday, September 27 from 2–4 p.m. — Join us at the front pool and compete to see who can eat the most hot dogs in the least amount of time! The winner will get a $30 gift card!
Coffee Bar — Saturday, September 29 from noon–6:30 p.m. — Stop by the office and get a free cup of joe to celebrate National Coffee Day!